Plaque is a thin, sticky and colourless film that develops naturally on the teeth. It contains bacteria which produce acids when you consume food or drinks containing sugars or starch. Regular acid attack can cause the tooth enamel to decay, causing cavities.
Plaque which is not removed from the tooth surface can also lead to various dental problems such as gum disease and will harden to form tartar, which will need to be removed by a dentist or hygienist.
Staining occurs as a result of the food and drink we consume or by smoking. Regular consumption of these items can lead to a build-up of stains on the teeth. Brushing daily with regular toothpaste can help clean and protect your teeth; however, it may not necessarily remove stains.
Many people undergo teeth whitening treatments to remove these stains and help bring out the whiteness of their teeth, either through their dentist or using home whitening kits. Results vary but professional tooth whitening can be an effective way to lighten the natural colour of your teeth. Although it cannot make a complete colour change, it will lighten the existing shade. The results are rarely permanent, requiring regular maintenance and repeated treatment, especially if the cause of the initial staining is not, or cannot, be addressed. These treatments can cause some discomfort to the teeth or gums either during or after the course of treatment and can also be expensive. If you experience tooth sensitivity during or after such treatments it may be advisable to use sensitive toothpaste to ease this discomfort. It is important to consult your dentist for further advice if you are considering tooth whitening treatments or are suffering from sensitivity.
More commonly, people are using whitening toothpastes, such as the Beverly Hills Formula range, as an affordable way to restore the natural whiteness of their teeth by removing stains from the tooth surface. You can also use these toothpastes following professional whitening treatments to maintain the whiteness of your teeth for longer.
What causes tooth staining and tartar?
- Food & drink – Tannins, or Tannic Acids, are yellow or brown chemical compounds commonly found in plants. Certain items contain concentrated levels of tannins, such as tea, coffee, cola, wine, berries and spices.
- Smoking – Tobacco contains concentrated levels of tannins.
- Poor dental hygiene – Failure to remove food debris, drink residue or plaque.
- Dental treatment or trauma – Many dead teeth discolour after a root filling or trauma
What are the symptoms of stains, plaque and tartar?
- Stains – Pigmented deposits on the tooth surface.
- Plaque – Colourless film of bacteria that develops naturally on the teeth, and can be felt when running your tongue or finger over the surface of your teeth.
- Tartar – Hardened plaque which is more difficult to remove. It forms under the gum-line, causing irritation. Being porous, tartar absorbs stains more easily giving teeth a yellow or brown tint.
If not removed by regular brushing both plaque and tartar can develop into caries or gum disease.
How can I treat stains, plaque and tartar?
The following procedures can assist in combating stains, plaque and tartar.
- Brush teeth for two minutes twice a day to remove plaque bacteria.
- Floss after meals to reduce plaque and tartar build-up between teeth.
- Mouthwash kills the bacteria that cause plaque, gingivitis, and bad breath.
- Whitening toothpaste removes plaque and stains from the surface of the teeth.
- Avoid or reduce consumption of sugary and acidic foods and drinks.
- Reduce consumption of products containing tannins.
- Visit your dentist or hygienist regularly who can perform a treatment called ‘scaling’ to remove tartar form your teeth and above and below the gum-line.
- Professional teeth whitening following consultation with your dentist.
What are the benefits of using Beverly Hills Formula products when looking to remove stains, plaque and tartar, and whiten teeth?
- Polishes – For a brighter, more confident smile
- Anti-bacterial protection –fights plaque bacteria, a cause of tartar, gum disease and bad breath.
- Enamel protection – Contains Xylitol and Fluoride, ingredients proven to help strengthen, remineralise and harden tooth enamel for cavity protection.
- Whiter teeth in 1 minute – Laboratory tests conducted at a leading British Dental School proved that our advanced cleaning formula removes stains in just 1 minute, helping restore teeth to their natural white colour without harsh abrasives or bleach.
- Low abrasion – Laboratory studies prove that our toothpastes are less abrasive than other leading brands of both whitening and regular toothpastes.